Tarot Blog Hop
<PREVIOUS BLOG | MASTER LIST | NEXT BLOG>
The theme for this round is Sun and Mercury.
Mercury - The Trickster God of Commerce & Tarot
Beyond the tall tree-tops; and in less time
Than shoots the slanted hail-storm, down he dropt
Towards the ground; but rested not, nor stopt
One moment from his home; only the sward
He with his wand light touch’d, and heavenward
Swifter than sight was gone.
Other professions and areas that Mercury rules over include:
| || |
If Mercury Were a Tarot Reader...
At the tarot table, he makes his clients question whether they sat down to have their cards read or to watch card tricks. He knows every way to shuffle and is one of the best card mechanics in the biz. He talks fast as he moved the deck from one hand to the other so that the cards look like their flying. By the time the deck is cut, the clients are mesmerized by the movement of the shuffle and the glint of his cuff links.
He's as slippery as the snakes on his Cadeceus but one would be a fool to not head the snakes words at the tarot table.
Mercury's Metaphysical Correspondence Chart
- Other Deity Associations: Hermes, Thoth, Wodin
- Epithets: Hermes Trismegistus (Thrice Great Hermes), Diaktoros (the courier), Angelos (messenger), Logios (writer and knower of intelligent design), Agoraios (Of the Market Place), Dolios (crafty one), Eriounios (Luck-Bringer), Hermeneutes (Interpreter), Takhus (Swift), Poneomenos (Busy One).
- Archangel: Raphael aka Israfil
- Planetary Name in Hebrew: KVKB
- Celestial Title: Messenger of the Gods
- Symbols: Caduceus aka Kerykion, 8-pointed star, and the planetary/alchemical symbol of mercury
- Tarot Card: The Magician (1)
- Metal: Quicksilver and Aluminum
- Day: Wednesday, the 4th of the month (as that was the only date given for when he was born) and the 25th of May
- Hours of the Day Ruled: 1st and 8th hours of the day, 3rd and 10th hours of the night
- Zodiac Signs: Gemini and Virgo
- Numbers: 1, 4, 8, and 13
- Gemstones: Agate, Opal, Yellow Topaz, Serpentine
- Colors: Yellow and Orange
- Hermetic Colors: Sky Blue and Gold
- Musical Note: E
- Trees: Almond, Ash, Aspen, Bottle Brush, Hazel, Larch, Mulberry, Rowan, Silver Birch and Juniper.
- Herbs: Carrot, Celery, Caraway, Cinquefoil, Dill, Fennel, Fenugreek, Fern, Lavender, Marjoram, Mandrake, Maidenhair Fern, Lilly of the Valley, and Vervain. Krokos (Crocus) - An Arkadian boy who was loved by Hermes. When the god accidentally killed him playing discus, he transformed the boy into a crocus flower.
- Incense: Frankincense, camphor, malabathrumcock, and myrrh
- Animals: Ibis, Dove, Tortoise, Hare, Rams, and Monkeys
- Anatomy Governed: Brain, Nervous System, Left Arm, and Respiratory System
- Votives and Offerings: currency, especially foreign currency.