Keeping a journal on our daily lives and the magick that happens is a great way to remind us that magick happens even at the most unexpected times in the most ordinary places. However, sometimes its hard to think of what to write or, heaven forbid, we suffer the dreaded Writers Block!
What helps me to overcome those moments of dead-brain are writing prompts. I keep whole lists of these babies, I love them so much! I thought I would share some of my favorite writing prompts that have a magickal twist to them to help others who might be having a hard time seeing anything magickal about their day or life.
- Write a Letter to Your Higher Self, Patron/Matron Deity, Guardian Angel, or Spirit Guide. Tell them about your day, your worries, anything you like. Feel free to ask them for guidance or advice on anything you feel you woudl like some help on. This may feel a little strange or silly at first but what are these beings or energies there for if not to guide us? As the day or week passes, be sure to note any messages or omens they might have sent you as you go about your life. You'll be suprised what little messages and synchronicities happen when you open yourself up to them.
- If you could have had a magickal fairy godmother (or godfather) who would it be? What would they be like? If you could choose one for your child (either current or future or just imaginary children) who would it be? Why? What would this godparent's duties be?
- Plan a Magickal Meal - start from appetizers and end with dessert. The dishes can be as real as Sun Sign cookies made with sunflower seeds and marked with astrology symbols OR they can be dishes from fairy stories and myths like poison apple pie & moon cheese. Be as detailed as you like with how each dish looks and smells, what plate its on, who you would be sharing this meal with, etc. If you go on to make this magickal meal, be sure to journal about that experience as well! (Check out the Epicurean Tarot by - for Tarot recipes to add to your magickal cookbook)
- Write a letter (yep, another letter) to your favorite magickal, spiritual, or witchy author. Tell them what you like about their books and what you would like to see from them in the future. If you're feeling brave, mail the letter to them! Do it old school in snail mail with pretty paper even! Journal about their response when they write back!
- Record your dreams! Grab a dream dictionary either a book or look at one of the dream indexes online. Analyze your dreams and see if any messages or images repeat themselves. Did you have a prophetic dream? Is your subconscious trying to tell you something?
Sometimes the words and ideas of others is what we need when we cannot find any of our own. Here are some amazing quotes from some magickal people to get those creative juices flowing!
While you are free to do as I do and collect these journal prompts, another idea for using them includes writing each one on a slip of paper, putting them in a jar and drawing one out when you need inspiration. You could also write a few of them down on a sheet and use your pendulum to choose a prompt idea best suited for you today! (For other pendulum ideas, check out this Practical Pendulum Use video!)
You can also turn most journal prompts you find online or in journaling books into magickal ones with just a tweak in the wording. Try it out! Please share with me any prompts that you've found inspiring! I'm always on the look for more inspiration!
For more journaling prompts, tips, and ideas check out our Pinterest Journaling Board